Monday 19 August 2013

Spotlight on Silver Kiss by @naomi_jay #newrelease @evernightpub #f/f

Oh look it's Monday.

 *blinks in the sunshine, yawns and has more coffee*

I have the lovely Naomi on my blog today with her newest release Silver Kiss that is storming up the best seller charts. Well, what is not to love about this one?

Take it away, Naomi.

****

Did you know that silver bullets didn’t exist in werewolf mythology until the 1940s? Like a lot of other things we now take for granted with our werewolves, it was invented by Hollywood – specifically for the film Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man.

Hollywood also gave us monkshood (a key part of SILVER KISS’s plot!) and pentagrams as weapons against werewolves. Not to mention the idea of a werewolf passing on its curse by biting and scratching, and a werewolf’s victim transforming at the first full moon after their attack.

One of the things I wanted to do with SILVER KISS was mix up traditional werewolf lore with my own ideas. So whilst you won’t find my werewolves attacking humans and turning them into shapeshifters, you will see that monkshood is definitely a weakness. And you won’t see any pentagrams or mysterious gypsies hanging around, but you will see full moons and plenty of silver… although maybe not the kind you think…

And in the prequel story to SILVER KISS, WOLF STRAP, there's a very dark, very secret piece of werewolf lore waiting to be discovered, for both readers and my heroine, Ayla. Why not take a look before you check out SILVER KISS? 



WOLF STRAP is a Free Read, available either from Evernight Publishing - http://www.evernightpublishing.com/wolf-strap-by-naomi-clark/  or at All Romance Ebooks - https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-wolfstrap-1216028-140.html



SILVER KISS

Ayla Hammond has come home. After years as a lone wolf in a self-imposed exile she's rejoining the pack and trying to mend fences with her parents. She's convinced them to accept her girlfriend, but can a lone wolf change her ways? As if homecoming wasn't hard enough, Ayla also can't help getting involved in a missing person case. With pressure to solve the case mounting from the pack alphas, Ayla is starting to question where her loyalties lie - and if a return to the pack she left behind is really what she wants.

Excerpt:


The feral’s scent was a stimulant to me, firing all my lupine instincts. It overrode the bitter smell of rotting pondweed and the musty aroma of bird feathers, drawing me in like a fish on a line. Glenn was just as intoxicated, stopping to sniff every rock and patch of slushy mud the feral had marked. He whined and huffed under his breath, tail flopping back and forth. The thrill of the chase had infected us both; I don’t think we could have gone back anymore.

We reached a point at the riverbank where the feral’s musk disappeared and without hesitating, I plunged into the icy water to swim across. Seconds later there was an almighty splash as Glenn joined me, yelping as the cold hit him. The river wasn’t very wide and we were across in minutes, shaking ourselves off and sneezing violently. I licked my paws, pulling a few strands of weeds from between my claws, then set about picking up the feral’s tracks again.
Glenn caught it first and bounded off down a dirt track, yapping for me to follow. I could definitely smell Molly now and other wolves, too. I didn’t recognize any of their scents, but there was a clear difference between urban wolves and ferals, and I found both on the track. That set me on edge. Chasing down one feral was a daunting proposition. The idea that we might run into a whole pack of them was just scary.
Once again, my human self reared her head and whispered that it was time to turn back. I stopped, looking back the way we’d come. A sense of dread that was more human than wolf settled over me, and I was suddenly shivering with cold and ready to go home. The two of us couldn’t take on a pack, if it came to it. I called Glenn to my side and licked his muzzle with a whine, telling him it was over.
He returned the gesture and we both swung back. My unease lifted as we reached the river again. The human part of me was back in charge and she knew this was the smartest course of action, despite my wolf’s desires. Then Glenn came to an abrupt halt beside me, hackles raised, a savage growl rumbling in his throat. I snapped irritably at him and then I saw what had him snarling.
A pair of amber eyes glowing like hot coals in the shadows ahead of us.

The feral.




No comments:

Post a Comment